Thursday, September 16, 2010

Challenges

At first, I thought that I can't relate to these stories because many of them are about gang violence and I don't plan on teaching in an area like that. But then I thought back on my experience at Mount Blue High School and realized that if one of my students came out and told me that he gets beaten at home or if a girl confided in me that she was pregnant, I would not be the least bit surprised. The question I still have is how to handle it. One teacher was too afraid to open up to a student out of fear of being unprofessional. Another one was completely open about his alcoholism and her childhood in the projects or an unintended pregnancy. What is the balance of professionalism and helping the students? Because I believe that having a teacher or trusted adult that a student with a crisis can relate to is very valuable. While I didn't grow up in the projects and I've never been the victim of gang violence, I know what it is like to grow up in a split household and to be a latch key kid and I know what it is like to have a parent struggle with depression. Maybe someday I will be able to relate to a student who is struggling with divorce like I did in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment