Thursday, October 21, 2010

Empowerment

Out of all the stories, the single part of this chapter that stood out to me was the opening line of the introduction to the chapter. It said: "In the end, the sole purpose of teaching is to empower students to learn and excel on their own." As a health teacher, this is my goal as well. I remember from my own time in high school that I rarely (I can't actually remember a single time but I don't like the work never) saw a connection between what I was learning and the relevance to my life. I want my health students to not only understand how to be healthy right now but also to learn skills to remain healthy for the rest of their lives. I don't want students to think health class is a joke or a waste of time (right now I believe that is the general idea). I want each student to share my view of the importance of health and I want them to take this belief out into the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment